Highlands Ranch Area Cycling Road Cycling Colorado Streech Greg Streech Gregory

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Gotta love it

Jonesin' for a ride Dear fellow cyclists, My name is Megan Hottman, I am a competitive cyclist, hoping to go Pro within the next two years. I'm also an attorney in Kansas City, Missouri, and I work for a judge in the local courthouse. Since my employment began there in August, I have encountered an amazing amount of smoking inside the building. Now this may seem like an absolute absurdity to those of you living in California or Colorado, but these are the conditions in which I am forced to work each day.
I get to breathe second-hand smoke all day and people look at me like I'm crazy every time I suggest that it is somehow wrong and that other parts of the country don't even allow smoking in restaurants and bars. You know what the biggest defense of this situation is? "Well, smokers are addicted, they can‘t help it."
I will go to someone's office for a meeting, or to discuss something that needs to get accomplished, and their co-worker informs me, "oh, they'll be right back, they're taking a smoke break."
I would like to pose a question to my fellow cyclists: Are we not "addicted" to riding our bikes? Aren't we "addicted" to exercise and the resulting endorphin rush? Yet, we aren't given license to get up from our desks, despite the amount of work awaiting us or the people in our offices waiting to see us, because we are "addicted."
How is it, that society condones less work from an individual because of an "addiction"? Why should we not, promptly at 10:15 and 3:15, get up from our desks, switch out our dress shoes for our tennis shoes, and say in an exasperated voice "I can't do that now, it's my exercise break. I've tried to quit, but I can't. It's an addiction."
Oh, and by the way, I do know my body odor may be offensive to some, but come on... compare that to stale cigarette smoke.
I'd pay to see the jaws drop in response to a nationwide cycling revolt. The cyclists that take "smoke breaks" to go get their 15-minute bouts of exercise. "You say you want a revolution?" Arise fellow cyclists!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

More blogs about cycling.
Technorati Blog Finder .