Highlands Ranch Area Cycling Road Cycling Colorado Streech Greg Streech Gregory

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Ridus Interruptus

Apparently, I have one of two problems. I push too many watts, or I'm so slow my chain rusted while I rode. Either way, I headed out to Chatfield today. During the 3rd interval up the dam road, the gears started popping on the rear cassette. I did one more interval after a minor adjustment, and then rode over the top to add a little flat stuff.

Going over the next hump after the dam road, the chain started jumping again, but this time worse. I stopped to check it out, and guess what? I actually broke one of the pins holding my chain together. It was only barely hanging on, probably would have completely snapped with the next heavy force.

I nursed it back to BikeSource and got a quick repair (got time to see the Cervelo P3 SL, very sweet). $3.14 later, it rides like before, without skipping the gears. Since the gears have been bugging me for a while, I wonder how close I have been to a complete disaster. Imagine standing up, hammering hard, and breaking the chain... my voice rises just worrying about it.

Imagine if that would have happened during the CCTT.

3 Comments:

At April 09, 2005 11:15 PM, Blogger RideTrek said...

So, were you pushing 1,200 or 1,300 watts at the time you snapped the chain?

 
At April 10, 2005 7:10 PM, Blogger Dirt - LPBME said...

I'm guessing either rust or stupidity that you forgot to reassemble your chain last time you had it off.

 
At April 11, 2005 10:16 AM, Blogger Redlight said...

Must be rust, then, because that wasn't the connection I loosened last time. The guy at the shop said it looked like a bad link from the factory. I told him "1300 watts, buddy", and he just laughed...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

More blogs about cycling.
Technorati Blog Finder .