Highlands Ranch Area Cycling Road Cycling Colorado Streech Greg Streech Gregory

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Mt. Evans hill climb

4:45 AM saturday: wake up, breakfast and drive by Fabio's. Pick up his bike, and drive two cars to Echo Lake (Squaw pass is 18 miles long, I had no idea). Park a car at Echo Lake at about 6:30, and drive down to Idaho Springs in the other. We had very little time to get ready, use the facilities, eat something and hop on.

7:30 AM: And we're off. As opposed to last year, we started way back in the group due to early startline crowding. After a short split due to slower riders, I caught up with Fabio. "Right with you, Fabs" I said. That was the last I saw of him. He took off and flat outrode me.

From there on, it was a "sit down, shut up and climb" day. I ate and drank like I've never done, and it helped. I didn't bonk and managed to ride a steady pace to the top. I finished only 4 minutes faster than last year, surprisingly since I bonked last year, and the weather was outstanding. About 60 degrees at the top, so shorts and short sleeves all the way. Looks like I need to work on my climbing on longer hills than Monarch.

Fabio rode a strong ride, finishing 7 minutes faster than last year, insided 2:45. The pro winner, Scott Moninger, rode about 1:52. Tom Danielson definitely crushed it last year.

The downhill was fun, too. I happened to ride with 6 TIAA-CREF guys. I managed to hang with them through the first slight uphill. On the second one, I got dropped like a brick. However, I cruised down the relatively hairy downhill quickly and had time to take a short breather before Fabio made it to Echo Lake.

Oh, and my time put me at 47th of about 80 guys in the 30-39 age group. Right around some names that look familiar to timetrial guys. Maybe CCTT isn't the right setup for Mt. Evans.

3 Comments:

At July 24, 2005 2:37 PM, Blogger Redlight said...

FYI, Scott Moninger is about 6 months older than me. He is 5'10" and weighs 130 pounds

I HAVE 55 POUNDS ON HIM... THAT'S ABOUT A POUND PER MINUTE BEHIND...

 
At July 24, 2005 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Redlight and Fabio. I wish I could have been there with you guys.

Q

 
At July 25, 2005 3:53 PM, Blogger RideTrek said...

Cool! Congrats to both on finishing.

Do you get a handicap like in golf or bowling? If based on the winner's weight, I would get all kinds of handicap minutes. With 75 - 80 minutes, I might have won.

Go Team Haagen Dazs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

More blogs about cycling.
Technorati Blog Finder .