Highlands Ranch Area Cycling Road Cycling Colorado Streech Greg Streech Gregory

Saturday, September 03, 2005

4 bottles and a Coke...

and I was still thirsty...

Started the "death ride" at about 11:30 today, after several annoying but unavoidable delays. Great idea to ride it in the heat of the day, right?

Anyway, good time up Deer Creek with 1:08 (my record stands at 1:04), and a short 30 second stop. Grinding up High Drive, with the usual dog scare to help keep the heart rate up (as if it's necessary up there). A great downhill into Evergreen, and a 10 minute break at the same gas station as before. That is where the bottles come in.

I had drained two bottles before I got to the gas station ($2.97 for regular, by the way). I refilled them both, finished the 1/4 bottle of Gatorade that took, and drained a can of Coke. By the time I was starting up Lucent, the bottles were empty again...

Leaving the gas station, this girl on a nice Pinarello rode by. Excellent motivation to keep the speed up to the turn for Parmalee Gulch. I passed her in Kittridge (?), but she didn't follow me up the Gulch. Which was a good thing, because it allowed me to just grind out my speed into a steady headwind. After a nice downhill, it was the Turkey Creek Road roll up to the back of Deer Creek. Someone turned just ahead of me, so I put the hammer down (what I had left, anyway) and caught him about half way up. No stop at the top, I rolled down and then it was a steady but somewhat slower pace all the way home.

Refreshments at home came in the form of ice cold lemonade from a stand run by several kids including Mary Streech. They promised my $5 will go to the Red Cross to help with Katrina victims. Laying in the grass sipping icecold raspberry lemonade, what a way to end the day.

1 Comments:

At September 03, 2005 8:36 PM, Blogger Dirt - LPBME said...

Your $5 went for Hurrican relief alright.....it bought me some beer to relieve me from watching the coverage on TV.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

More blogs about cycling.
Technorati Blog Finder .