Highlands Ranch Area Cycling Road Cycling Colorado Streech Greg Streech Gregory

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Jim Price's Killer Sentenced

Yesterday they sentenced the kid who killed Jim Price on the warm-up hill. The following is the link to the Denver Post version of the story.

DenverPost.com - LOCAL NEWS: "A Mountain Vista High School senior will spend spring break in jail and at least 300 hours trying to persuade other teenagers to pay more attention to the road than their cellphones."
Personally, this seems to be an appropriate punishment. The Killer admitted his mistake, didn't hide or try to shirk responsibility and most importantly, it was an accident. Spring Break in jail, 300 hours of community service seems appropriate. Even the family members the post interviewed felt that jail was not appropriate. Thoughts?

3 Comments:

At February 07, 2006 6:00 PM, Blogger RideTrek said...

The kid does seem to have accepted blame and appears remorseful. Does that change the fact that he killed an innocent human being? Would his sentence have been different had he accidentally shot someone instead of accidentally running him over? Killing a cyclist did not seem to attract much attention. Would the attention or outcry have been different had the deceased been someone younger? I have a very hard time placing myself in the family's or the judge's shoes. I hope Mr. Price rests in peace. It's a terrible shame that we even have to discuss this.

 
At February 07, 2006 10:23 PM, Blogger Redlight said...

I rode past the spot on Saturday. Breathing so hard, I never even thought about it. Then I read the article in the paper and thought about how I don't even worry about the cars when I ride, even after what happened. Too fatalistic, I guess if it has to happen it will.

Your forwarded email about this was interesting, Hammerson. Seems like some people are better at forgiving than others (like me).

 
At February 08, 2006 1:08 PM, Blogger RideTrek said...

I am merely asking questions as I try to process this. I'm not angry. I tried to think how I would feel if the person run over had been one of our group. It's good to see that the family is able to be so forgiving. I rode past the spot on Sunday and affected me somewhat. Then, a driver honked at me and made an aggressive move towards me on my way back on Highlands Ranch Parkway. Drivers need to calm down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

More blogs about cycling.
Technorati Blog Finder .