Highlands Ranch Area Cycling Road Cycling Colorado Streech Greg Streech Gregory

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Pound for Pound

Scanning this morning's Wall Street Journal I happened along a little article about food. Since I have been reading Carmichael's book, Food for Fitness, I thought that this might be an interesting read on the economics of the movement towards healthier fare in our resturants.

I was shocked to learn that the article was more about the "fatter" approach that the burger joints are heading. Case and point is the chain Hardee's. While long ago I vowed never to eat another fast food burger, I found the chart below startling.



1,400 calories for one burger! Are you kidding me? This will kill an elephant. Imagine for a moment that you have decided that the Hardee's Monster Thickburger is the way to go. You wash one of these cows down with a "diet" coke and some fries. Now hop onto your bike and pedal up Deer Creek. I am sure that somewhere this side of the High Grade turn off the "Thickburger" would have converted your carcass to a mere speed bump.

Suffice it to say, I will never, ever, eat another fastfood burger. These guys are trying to kill their customers, one artery at a time!!!!

Fat or Fast?

2 Comments:

At January 27, 2005 9:52 AM, Blogger RideTrek said...

Don't forget to add some fries on top of the fatty burger.

I swore off fast food burgers years ago. The thought of eating one grosses me out. I occasionally eat a veggie burger or Chili's black bean burger, but never eat regular hamburgers anymore.

The trend of bigger, fatty burgers is pathetic. I still like Haagen Daz though.

The calendar is up to 27 days since my last ride. FAT (no weight gain, but no fitness either)

 
At January 27, 2005 10:36 AM, Blogger Redlight said...

Whatever... I haven't jumped completely on the wagon. I eat a lot of veggies and fiber stuff and lean meats, but occassionally go way off... I ate 3/4 of a good sized pizza (veggie) last Friday... rode like a mofo on saturday... it's all in the balance. Just missing the burger won't make you fast, nor will it make you not fat...

I'm ready for the season to start, so I can eat my Big Mac and still kick ass...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

More blogs about cycling.
Technorati Blog Finder .