Highlands Ranch Area Cycling Road Cycling Colorado Streech Greg Streech Gregory

Sunday, March 06, 2005

I’m Faster than Lance

I watched the prologue to Paris-Nice with the same excitement as most cycling idiots of Highlands Ranch. I was so excited that I hauled butt back from my afternoon ride to catch the opening of the Pro-Tour even though Tivo was ready to go. Alas, today we learned why the Tour is king and all else is just, well, just riding.

While there were some very interesting spectacles, the blank bike ridden by Georg Totschnig, the hill, the cold, the chicane, it was the lack of things that I noted. Where was the coverage of Danielson’s ride? Where was Phil Ligget? What about Floyd’s finish? Basically, OLN seemed altogether bored to be broadcasting the show. I’m surprised they didn’t have Trautwig and Gumm do the commentating to save some coin.

Note to OLN, Scott Coady would do the coverage for free and we would all be better for it……” it’s Lance and Pantanni….goooooooho hohoho!”

Maybe OLN knew that LA wouldn’t be showing up. In fact, I am pretty sure that I rode the last 4K along Wildcat into the wind faster than Lance went today. They barely showed his ride but I am pretty sure that he flatted somewhere around 1K.

To OLN’s defense, some of the Disco team stuff was cool. Dug the Carmichael tips. The clip of Roll getting rocked at the line was awesome.

The Pro Tour missed out on a great opportunity today. If you know you are going to get the coverage due to LA, why not figure out how to make a showcase in your first event of the year? How about some background on the sport? How about a discussion on the cool ass rigs these guys are on? Maybe a little interview with Cuenego, or Danielson or…… Maybe instead of showing Roll on the couch doing, God only knows, they could have a little something interesting about the sport/ProTour/riders.

In the end, I am worried that crap job broadcasts like this are going to ruin any chances of coverage after Lance retires. I guess it will be back to the internet and Velonews to see what is happening.

When I make all the money in the world, I am starting a cycling channel. We’ll cover everything. We’ll have average dudes doing the commentary. We go on group rides with the HR Cycling Club and then make fun of them in the editing booth. It’ll be awesome.

Fast or Fat?

1 Comments:

At March 07, 2005 4:58 PM, Blogger Dirt - LPBME said...

Not sure how you were able to miss the commercials which conveniently covered all of the finishing times. OLN is run by jackasses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

More blogs about cycling.
Technorati Blog Finder .